Tips and Links
Below you find a list of frequently asked questions, with tips and links. If the answer to your question is not on this page, please contact our friendly customer service.
- How can I stay safe while travelling?
As long as you use common sense and good judgment—such as staying aware of your surroundings and avoiding risky situations—and you are likely to have a safe trip. Here are a few resources you can consult to address particular safety concerns:
- Safe Travel: This is the official source of advice of the New Zealand Government for New Zealanders travelling or living overseas.
- Civil Aviation Authority of New Zealand: This site provides a detailed section on advice for air travelers, passenger safety, and aviation in New Zealand etc.
- World Health Organisation: The WHO’s site gives health-specific information which is sorted by countries and health topics.
- How do I register my travel details before going overseas?
Register your travel plans at Safe Travel so in an emergency you can be contacted and provided assistance if needed. This is incredibly important as in the past where New Zealanders who were thought to be in an area affected by a cyclone, major earthquake or bomb blast overseas – those who have registered their travel contact details have often been accounted for first. Register here.
- How do I know if there are any travel advisories for my destination?
Safe Travel lists travel advisories by destination, region and risk level. If you have any questions or concerns about your destination before or during your trip, please contact us at(0800) 500 225.
- Where can I get information about the vaccinations I need and/or health alerts?
Safe Travel’s Health and Travel section offers expert travel health advice, information about vaccination and malaria and current health alerts for overseas travel. It also provides advice on medications you may be taking with you on your journey.
World Health Organisation’s website gives health specific information which is sorted by countries and health topics.
- What items can I bring back into New Zealand when I return?
The website of MAF Biosecurity New Zealand provides a detailed list on the items you may bring into New Zealand, as well as which items you must declare.