Home / Travel Insurance / Adventure Sports / Adventure Sports Travel Insurance FAQs
hiking in the himalayas

Adventure Sports Travel Insurance FAQs

Are adventure activities or extreme sports planned for your next trip? You may have some questions about our policies and coverage. We're here to help answer them! For more information, check out our Adventure sports travel insurance page.

Do I have to buy a specific policy for Adventure Sports?

No. Our policies automatically cover a range of adventure activities. You do not need to buy a specific policy for this cover to apply. If your planned activity is not listed on our website or in the policy wording, we may be able to cover it. Give us a call on (0800) 500 225 to check. If you want cover for Winter sports, include this add-on to your policy. An additional premium will apply.

What adventure sports am I covered for?

There is a good chance the activities you love are covered by your Cover-More policy. We automatically cover a wide range of activities including white water rafting, skydiving, bungy jumping and more! You need to ensure reasonable care is taken and all protective equipment is worn.

We do not automatically cover winter sports. You need to purchase this add-on for coverage to apply. Even when you pay the additional premium, you still need to meet the conditions outlined in the policy wording.

Am I covered for Adventure Sports in New Zealand?

Yes. Our Domestic travel insurance automatically covers a variety of adventure sports. If the activity you plan on doing is not listed on our website or in the policy wording, we may be able to cover it. Contact us on (0800) 500 225 to check. If you want cover for Winter sports, include this add-on to your policy. An additional premium will apply.

If you're planning to travel within New Zealand, you can insure your sports equipment up to $500. You may be able to increase the item limit by paying an additional premium. Coverage does not apply to the item whilst in use.

Is my sports equipment covered?

Yes. We can cover your sports equipment but only when it is not in use. Travel insurance can protect items if they get lost, stolen or damaged while you’re travelling. Our Options International Plan provides cover up to $1,500 for equipment. Our Domestic plan has cover up to $500. If you’re taking expensive gear on your trip, consider increasing the luggage item limit. You can do this by paying an additional premium. Keep in mind that you must be able to provide receipts or valuations less than 12 months old if requested.

What is my excess?

Every traveller has a different budget so select the excess amount you feel comfortable with. Remember that the higher the excess, the lower the premium. You can choose an excess amount from either $0, $100 or $250 for an International policy. A set excess of $25 applies to our Domestic Plans. An excess is the first amount of a claim we will not pay and is applied to each claimable event.

Can I get cover if I am competing overseas?

We cannot provide cover while you are participating in a professional capacity. However, we can offer policy benefits that are unrelated to you competing. This includes cover for incidents like travel delay and lost luggage.

Can I get cover for Winter sports?

Yes. You can be protected for Winter sports as long as you’ve added this to your policy. An additional premium will apply. The Winter sports add-on covers you for skiing, snowboarding and snowmobiling. Remember that you must be on-piste, not racing and not competing in a professional capacity. You do not need to take out Winter sports cover for snow tubing, sledding, sleigh riding or ice-skating. Have a read of our Winter sports cover page for more information.

Am I covered when riding a motorcycle/moped?

You can only be covered for riding a motorcycle or moped if:

  • Whilst in control of a motorcycle/moped you hold a valid New Zealand motorcycle licence or New Zealand motor vehicle driver licence;
  • You hold a licence valid in the relevant country;
  • Whilst you are a pillion passenger, the driver holds a licence valid in the relevant country;
  • The engine capacity is 200cc or less;
  • You are wearing a helmet;
  • You are not participating in a professional capacity; and
  • You are not racing.

No cover applies for personal liability. You are responsible for any costs associated with damage to the motorcycle, moped or property or injury to another person.

Am I covered if I want to use an ATV/quad bike?

Yes. Cover-More policies automatically include coverage for riding an ATV/quad bike. You must ensure that all safety equipment is worn and reasonable care is taken.

Is it possible to get travel insurance for scuba diving?

Yes. We can cover this activity. You do not need to add scuba diving cover to your policy as it is automatically covered. You need to hold a valid Open Water Diving Certificate or dive with a qualified diving instructor.

Is there an altitude limit for Adventure sports coverage?

There is no altitude limit imposed on your policy. Take reasonable care and know your limits and capabilities before going on a high altitude trek. It’s important to remember that rescue helicopters can only operate up to a certain altitude. This can increase the difficulty of a rescue operation. Rest assured we will do our best to assist you if something goes wrong.

I have been injured while partaking in adventure sports overseas. What should I do?

We are sorry to hear you have been injured. We’re here to help! For emergencies, contact the local emergency number if you need an ambulance. When you are able to do so, call our Emergency Assistance team on +61 2 8907 5240. We can provide assistance if you are admitted to hospital or need help finding an English speaking doctor. Our team of medical professionals can also talk you through the care you are receiving. Please have your policy number and a call back number ready when you phone our team.

Ready to protect your adventure holiday? Get a quote today!