Home / Travel Insurance / Adventure Travel Insurance

Travel Cover: Adventure Sports Cover

water rafting

Adventure sports travel insurance

Protect your adrenaline-filled trip

Are you looking for travel insurance that can cover adventure sports? Let nothing hold you back as you do the activities you love! We offer plans that protect you while participating in a wide range of adventure sports at no extra cost. Get the most fun out of your trip from snorkelling to bungee jumping or even sky diving. Cover-More knows that not every traveller is content with taking a sightseeing tour or laying on a beach. If you’re seeking an adrenaline rush for your next holiday, travel with peace of mind knowing we’ll be there if something goes wrong. Check out our Adventure Sports FAQs page for more information. Add-on winter sports cover is also available if you plan on going skiing, snowboarding or snowmobiling on your trip.

Making sure you have the right cover for all the adrenaline activities you plan on doing while overseas is important. Our customer Pieter had his adventure holiday in the US take a turn for the worst when his skydive landing went horribly wrong. Pieter hit the ground at 100kms per hour and suffered a number of serious injuries. He was put into an induced coma and required numerous surgeries. Pieter's Cover-More policy included cover for skydiving, so when he crashed, he had access to high quality medical care at no cost. We covered Pieter's claim totalling around $746,000. Read more about Pieter's accident here.

You guys have been great. This is the third year in a row I've taken out a policy with you and I will again. I'm so thankful Cover-More took care of me." - Pieter van den Berg 

Get a quote online to see how affordable it is to protect your adventure holiday.

Activities we automatically cover

Your Cover-More policy already covers you for a large range of  adventure sports! To see a full list of popular activities we automatically cover, check them out here. Don’t see your planned adventure activity on our list? We may still be able to cover it. Call us on (0800) 500 225 to find out. Remember that all activities must be undertaken recreationally and sporting equipment is not covered whilst in use.

View some included activities



Black Water Rafting/Cave Tubing: Included, if you are just participating for one or two hours with an organized, guided tour.

Bungee Jumping


Caving: Included, if just participating for one or two hours with an organized, guided tour.


Fencing: Included, if you are wearing standard protective clothing.

Fishing including Game Fishing and Sport Fishing: Included, provided you are not fishing in international waters


Flying Fox

Horse Riding: Included, only whilst leisure riding such as on a trail or through a stable. No cover for racing, hunting or polo playing

Hot Air Ballooning

Hydro Speed

Jet Boating: Included, provided you are not racing/competing.

Jet Skiing: Included, provided you are not racing/competing.

Kayaking: Included, provided you are not travelling in international waters (e.g. kayaking from one country to another country).

Mountain Biking: Included, if you are wearing a helmet. Not covered for racing/competing.




Sailing: Included, provided you are not travelling in international waters in a private sailing vessel or a privately registered vessel.

Sea Kayaking: Included, provided you are not travelling in international waters (e.g. kayaking from one country to another country).

Scuba Diving: Included, provided that you hold an Open Water Diving Certificate or are diving with a qualified diving instructor.

Sky Diving


Surfing: The surfboard itself is not covered unless lost, stolen or damaged whilst in the custody of a Transport provider.

Trekking: A journey on foot, especially in the mountains. Included, provided you are not using ropes or other mountaineering equipment (which would become mountaineering/rock climbing).

Tuk-tuk: A three-wheeled motor vehicle used as a taxi in Asia. Included, provided it is being used as a mode of public transport and not driven by the insured.

Wake Boarding: A buoyant board (resembling a surfboard) that is used to ride over water while being pulled behind a motorboat.

Water Skiing

White Water Rafting




What you need to know

It’s easy to get caught up in the excitement of planning a holiday. Remember to read our policy wording to find out everything you need to know about our policies. Check it out before purchasing your travel insurance, so you are familiar with what is and isn’t covered.

Adventure sports we don’t cover

We cover a wide variety of adventure sports, but there are some activities we can’t insure. Our travel insurance won’t protect you if you participate in:

  • BASE jumping
  • Boxing
  • Free climbing
  • Freestyle BMX riding
  • Gliding
  • Hang gliding
  • Heli-skiing
  • Hunting
  • Ice climbing
  • Martial arts
  • Moto cross
  • Mountaineering or rock climbing using guides, ropes, rock climbing equipment or oxygen
  • Muay Thai   
  • Off-piste snow skiing or snowboarding
  • Polo playing
  • Racing (other than by foot)
  • Rodeo
  • Running of the Bulls
  • Scuba diving unless you hold an Open Water Diving Certificate or are diving with a qualified instructor
  • Sports activities in a professional capacity
  • Taekwondo

If you are unsure the activity you’re planning on doing is or isn’t covered, give us a call on (0800) 500 225. We’ll be happy to discuss this with you.

Why choose Cover-More?

Every adventurer knows it’s important to have someone watching your back. That’s where we come in. Cover-More has years of experience helping people both at home and abroad. You focus on having the time of your life knowing we’ll be here in case something goes wrong.  

As a Cover-More customer, you have access to our global 24/7 Assistance team. We’re only a phone call away if you need help with anything from an accident to a lost passport. Our international plans provide unlimited* overseas medical and dental expenses cover. But our benefits don’t end there! We can provide cover for your luggage, sports equipment (whilst not in use), travel documents and more. Get a quote online to protect your adrenaline-filled holiday.

High altitude trekking

About to lace up your boots and go hiking or trekking during on your trip? Our travel insurance can cover you for these activities at no extra charge. Even if you go hiking in high altitudes! Keep in mind that cover is not available if you use ropes or other mountaineering equipment. You must not be racing or doing the hike or trek in a professional capacity.

Popular treks we can cover include:

  • Mount Everest Base Camp
  • Annapurna Circuit
  • Kokoda Trail
  • Machu Picchu and the Inca Trail
  • Mount Kilimanjaro

Make sure any hikes or treks you set out to do are within your ability and reasonable care is taken. If you become unexpectedly sick or injured during your trek, our 24/7 Emergency Assistance team is only a phone call away. Your Cover-More policy has an unlimited benefit for overseas medical and dental expenses*.

We will do our best to ensure you get the care and assistance you need while on your adventure holiday. Cover-More can arrange a helicopter to rescue you if deemed necessary by our team of professionals.

Scuba diving and snorkelling

If your next trip involves taking a plunge into the water, get cover for scuba diving and snorkelling. We automatically cover these activities at no extra cost. For scuba diving, you must hold a valid Open Water Diving Certificate or are diving with a qualified diving instructor. These are great ways to see what’s beneath the surface at your destination. Places like Komodo Island, the Philippines and Fiji are fantastic spots to snorkel or scuba dive.

Choosing your plan

We know that no two adventure trips are the same! You have the option to choose a policy to suit your budget and travel needs. Cover-More automatically covers a wide range of activities. For Winter sports protection, you will need to include this add-on for extra cover. An additional premium will apply.

Cover-More has a range of amounts for cancellation cover to suit your holiday needs. You can protect your trip in case you need to cancel, as long as the reason falls within what is covered – See our policy wording. It is also possible to adjust the excess amount for your travel insurance. Remember that the higher the excess, the lower the premium. An excess is the first part of a claim we will not pay and is applicable to each claimable event.

sky diving

Protecting your sports equipment

Adventure activities often need a lot of equipment. We understand that you may want to take your own! If you’re skiing in Switzerland or surfing in Hawaii, you can take your gear with you. Our Options international plan protects your sports equipment up to the value of $1,500. Just remember that no cover is available whilst the gear is in use. You must be able to provide receipts or valuations (less than 12 months old) for claimable items if requested.

Need to increase the item limits for your luggage cover? Our Options policy allows you to increase your item limit to $10,000 per item, set or pair of items. You may be able to do this by paying an additional premium. Get a quote online to see how affordable it can be.

Winter sports cover

If you want to hit the slopes in places like Canada or Japan, add Winter sports cover to your policy. You will need to pay an extra premium. This can protect you when you go skiing, snowboarding or snowmobiling. Whether this is your first time in the snow or you’re a regular on the slopes, accidents can happen. It’s important to have the right cover for Winter sports. Even if you add the extra cover to your plan, You will only be covered if:

  • You are skiing or snowboarding On-Piste
  • You are not racing; and
  • You are not participating in a professional capacity.

Get a travel insurance quote online for your Winter holiday. Remember to include the Winter sports add-on cover. Or call us on (0800) 500 225 and we can arrange it for you.

Motorcycle or moped

Hopping on a motorcycle or moped is a popular way to explore destinations such as Bali or Thailand. Cover-More can provide protection if you want to partake in this activity. It’s important to note that you will only be covered if:

  • Whilst in control of a motorcycle or moped, you hold a valid New Zealand motorcycle licence or New Zealand motor vehicle driver licence;
  • You hold a licence valid in the relevant country;
  • Whilst you are a pillion passenger the driver holds a licence valid in the relevant country;
  • The moped or motorcycle has an engine capacity of 200cc or less;
  • You are wearing a helmet;
  • You are not participating in a professional capacity; and
  • You are not racing.

No cover applies for personal liability. This means that you are responsible to pay any costs associated with damage to the motorcycle, moped, or property or injury to another person. We’ll take care of the important stuff like your medical bills in case of an accident, within the terms of our policy wording.

Get a free quote online or call us on on (0800) 500 225 to see how affordable travel insurance can be.

Money back guarantee

Changed your mind? It happens! Cover-More offers a 15 working day cooling off period. If you cancel your policy during this time, our money back guarantee ensures you’ll get your money back. To be eligible, you must not have made a claim under the policy or have departed on your journey. Make sure you contact us within the cooling off period to cancel your policy and receive a full refund.

You can still cancel or change your policy at any time before you leave home. But keep in mind that you will not be entitled to a full refund if it is outside of our cooling off period.


Get in touch with us

If you have questions about adventure sports cover, give us a call on (0800) 500 225.


* Medical cover will not exceed 12 months from onset. Medical and Dental Expenses cover is limited to $1,500 for treatment provided in New Zealand. This $1,500 sub-limit does not apply to Plan I Inbound area. For customers 70 years or over reduced maximum limits may apply. Limits will be shown on the Certificate of Insurance.