Home / Travel Insurance / Inbound / Inbound Travel Insurance FAQs
milford sound new zealand

Inbound Travel Insurance Cover FAQs

We have put together a list of commonly asked questions to help you decide if an inbound policy is for you. At Cover-More, our inbound travel insurance cover is for non-New Zealand residents who are visiting New Zealand. This type of cover is available for travellers who are 69 years old or younger.

Your trip doesn't have to be limited to just New Zealand though! Provided the majority of your time is spent in New Zealand, your other destinations can be covered as well. This means we can protect you from the moment you step out of your front door until you return home.

Read more about our inbound travel insurance page.

What is inbound travel insurance cover?

Our inbound travel insurance cover is designed for non-New Zealand residents who plan to visit New Zealand. Your inbound policy can cover you for:

  • Medical and dental expenses
  • Luggage and travel documents
  • Rental vehicle insurance excess
  • Personal liability

and more.

If you will be spending the majority of your time in New Zealand, we can protect the rest of your journey to other destinations. Medical cover in your home country does not apply. See our Policy Wording for the full list of benefit limits.

If I am a New Zealand resident wanting to travel domestically, should I purchase inbound travel insurance cover?

No. Our inbound travel insurance cover is not suited for New Zealand residents. It is only available to people who live overseas. If you are a New Zealand resident wanting to travel domestically, our Options Domestic Plan may be more suitable.

I travel to New Zealand regularly, can I get an inbound Annual Multi-Trip policy?

No. Unfortunately, we are unable offer an inbound Annual Multi-Trip policy. If you plan on travelling multiple times a year to New Zealand, you will need to take out a new inbound policy each time.

How can I purchase inbound travel insurance cover?

You can purchase an inbound policy to New Zealand through our website. Get a quote online by following these steps:

  1. Enter ‘New Zealand Inbound’ into the field that asks where you are going.
  2. Select the dates of your first trip.
  3. Enter in the current ages of all travellers.
  4. Select ‘No’ when asked if all travellers live in New Zealand.
  5. Click ‘Get Quote’ to go to the next page.
  6. Select your plan and you can adjust the excess amount.
  7. Select the optional extras you want by choosing your cancellation cover, increasing your luggage limits, or opting in for Snow Sports Cover. An additional premium may apply.
  8. Continue through to the next pages to fill in the rest of your details.
  9. Finalise your purchase.

If you would like more information on how to buy an Inbound Plan, check out our inbound travel insurance page.

What is my excess?

You can choose your excess amount from either $0, $100, or $250. The higher the excess, the lower the premium you have to pay when purchasing travel insurance. The excess is the first part of a claim that we will not pay. Keep in mind that excess will be applied to each claimable event.

Are there any extra coverage options I can add to my policy?

Yes. Our Inbound Plan gives you to the option to vary cover to suit your travel needs. You can add unlimited cancellation cover and increase your luggage limits up to $10,000 per item. Taking to the slopes? You can also include our Snow Sports Cover in your policy for an additional cost.

Is it possible to get travel insurance cover for cruises?

No. We are not able to offer travel insurance to cover a cruise holiday on our Inbound Plan.

Is there an age restriction for buying an Inbound Plan?

Yes. Our Inbound Plan is limited to those under the age of 69. You must be 69 years old or younger at the time when the policy is issued.

Can I get cover for my existing medical conditions?

We can automatically cover some existing medical conditions when you take out an Inbound Plan. Check out our existing medical conditions page to find out which medical conditions we can automatically cover and the coverage criteria. For further information, have a read through the Policy Wording. We cannot provide cover for any existing medical conditions on an inbound policy outside of our defined list.

Will you protect my working holiday in New Zealand?

Yes. Our Inbound Plan is great for working holidays within New Zealand. You can arrange cover for up to 365 days. You just need to be within the terms outlined in the Policy Wording. Emergency and medical expenses can be costly in New Zealand. However, an Inbound Plan can protect you from unforeseen amendment or cancellation costs, medical expenses, and lost luggage or travel documents. 

Am I covered for COVID-19 on the Inbound Plan?

There is a limited number of benefits available relating to COVID-19. Please read the Policy Wording carefully for cover inclusions, exclusions, and terms and conditions. Please note that we will not pay for any claims caused by or arising from medical events directly or indirectly related to COVID-19 when travelling on the Inbound Plan outside of New Zealand.

Can you protect my trip while travelling outside of New Zealand?

Your inbound policy will cover you for your entire overseas trip as long as the majority of your time is spent in New Zealand. If you decide to see other parts of the world during your trip, our Cover-More travel insurance can still protect you. Remember that no medical cover is available if something happens in your home country.

Ready to protect your trip to New Zealand? Get a quote online for inbound travel insurance cover.